Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Number of Openings

I've been thinking about chess openings recently. Generally speaking I put much more stock in middle-game and endgame situations. I will eventually (soon as I finish my endgame studies) go back and refocus on openings.

The point is the question of rather it's better to play a variety of openings or focus on a few concepts.
When I think of this I think of 2 things, picking characters and the number 3. 3 is such a cornerstone number that I'm convinced we are engraved to suit it. Most people who play characters seriously pick 2 as it gives them an in-depth understanding on a consistent practice while have some diversity in their arsenal.

I feel when you are starting off play a lot of openings and get exposed. Once you get seriously pick 3. 2 of them you study heavily in depth and have a 3rd one just to mix things up. 2 Should be similar while 1 should be very different.

Personally I like the Nimzovich + ruy lopez and the Sicilian. Sicilian is the S tier opening. Ruy Lopez in my most practiced opening and Nimzovich is relatively similar mixup.

Variety is important but it's always good to learn a few things in depth. Openings are like tools. If you have a solid middle and endgame more than likely you should be able to hold your own in any situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment